Seals, Torches, and Owls
Over its history, FSU (and its predecessors) has had a number of seals and symbols associated with the institution. Among these symbols are torches and owls, both of which first made their appearance during the era of the Florida State College, from 1901-1907. Ever since, these symbols have had a place at FSU, whether it be in an official or unofficial capacity.
Remaining largely unchanged over the years, the three-torch seal bearing the words “Vires, Artes, Mores” was created by a Florida State College for Women art student in 1909. It originally also bore the words “Feminia Perfecta”, Latin for “the complete woman”, but those words were removed once the school became the co-ed Florida State University in 1947.