Music & Marching
The School of Music is one of the oldest departments in FSU’s history, dating back to the inception of Florida Female College in 1905. The development into a full-on degree awarding program was largely due to the work of Ella Opperman, Dean of the School of Music from 1913 to 1944.
The beginnings of an official marching band started in 1938, when a group of thirty-nine students formed a drill corps called the “Tally Troopers.” That attempt was short-lived, but another began in 1940. The school initially did not recognize the band, but after winning over the support of students and faculty through various performances, they were officially recognized on Thanksgiving Day 1941.